In this blog we will see how to manually Export Office 365 mailboxes to PST & Import PSTs to Office 365.
Exporting Office 365 Mailboxes to PST:
- Open and login to Office 365 and go to ‘Admin’. Then, select the ‘Exchange’ option in the left corner of the ‘Office 365 admin center’. Then click on ‘Permissions’ and select ‘Discovery management’ under ‘Admin Roles’.
- Now you will have to add your account to the Members list in the Discovery Management role group properties window using the plus ‘+’ button. Also, ensure that you assign the following roles to yourself: Mailbox Import Export and Mailbox Search.
- After that go to ‘Compliance Management’ in ‘Exchange Admin Center (EAC)’ and click the ‘+’ icon to start ‘In-Place eDiscovery & Hold’ wizard. Now you have to select the ‘Don’t Search Any Mailboxes’ option and click ‘Next’. Otherwise, if you want to search in the mailboxes and export only the search result, then select that option.
- After that you will get several filtering options to search the required messages. To export the search results to a PST, click the ‘Down Arrow’ button. Now you will get the new dialog box here specify the location to save the PST file and start the export.
Importing/Uploading PST to Office 365:
- Open and login to Office 365 using Admin credentials. Then Go to the Import page and select ‘Go to the Import Service’. Here in ‘Import files to Office 365’ click on ‘New Job Add Icon’, and then click ‘Upload Files over the Network’ to open that page. Now you will have to download ‘Azure AzCopy’ tool. Then you will see a new window; install the Azure AzCopy tool.
- Once the Azure AzCopy tool installed, then copy and save Shared Access Signature (SAS) and the Network Upload URL to a file. To do this you will have to go to the ‘Upload Files over the Network’ page and use ‘Copy Network Upload SAS key’ under ‘Copy Secure Network Upload SAS Key’ and ‘Show URL for PST files’ under ‘Copy the Secure Network Upload URL’ to copy and save key and URL to a file.
- Now use Azure AzCopy.exe tool to upload PST files to Office 365. To do this, open the Command Prompt on your local computer. Go to the directory where you installed the AzCopy.exe tool. The run the following command to upload the PST files to Office 365:
AzCopy.exe /Source:<Location of PST files> /Dest:<Network upload URL + PST file path> /DestSAS:<SAS key> /D:<Log file location>
By following above steps you can easily import and export Office 365 mailbox to PST natively.