This article, will help you if you lost or deleted your important, sensitive files on a hard disk, you can turn to hard drive data recovery software for help to recover deleted files on Windows and Mac. Accidentally deleted a file or lost your data. Data loss is an unpleasant experience. You can lose data due to deletion, formatting, and system crashes.
Do you need to recover deleted files in Windows or Mac OS X?
Have files or whole partitions gone missing from your Windows or Mac?
Fortunately, Hard Drive (hdd) recovery software for Windows and Mac both can help restore lost files even if you don’t have a backup. Free trail version is available for all the Data Recovery software listed below.
Related Article- iPhone and iPad Data Recovery Software
Here is a list of Top 10 Free Hard Drive Data Recovery Software:
- Stellar Data Recovery Software for Windows and Mac
- SysTools Data Recovery Software for Windows
- EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Windows and Mac
- Disk Drill Data Recovery Software for Windows and Mac
- R-Studio Data recovery for Windows Hard Drive, Mac and Linux
- Ontrack EasyRecovery for Windows & Mac
- Prosoft Data Rescue For Windows and Mac
- Recuva – Hard Disk Recovery Software for Windows
- TestDisk for Windows, Mac, and Linux
- PhotoRec For Windows, Mac, and Linux
“Make sure to back up your data” – that boss you never listened to
Stellar Data Recovery Software facilitates you to recover up to 1 GB lost or deleted data on Windows and Mac, absolutely free. Easily Recover Deleted Data from Windows, Mac and Linux drive.
Stellar data recovery is one of the best solution available for recovering lost files or important data from hard drive. Best software to recover deleted photos, audio and videos files.
Stellar Data Recovery is built for both personal or enterprise needs. Also, available for Mac and Windows.
Check the Stellar data recovery software Features
|For Windows||For Mac|
|Recovers up to 1 GB of data – FREE||Recovers up to 1 GB of data – No activation required|
|Recover data from lost partition or crashed system||Recover Data from Crashed Mac|
|Advanced RAID recovery capability||Recover Files from Emptied Trash|
|Recover data from formatted media or corrupted volume||Recover Data from Mac USB Drive|
|Recover from BitLocker® encrypted drive||Recover Data from Formatted or lost Partition|
|Optical Media Recovery (CD,DVD, HDDVD, Blu-Ray Disc)||Recover from Drive Having Bad Sectors|
|Supports Unbootable System Recovery||Gets back deleted Word, PowerPoint, Excel files & more|
|Retrieve data from PC, laptop, hard drive, and USB stick||Restores Photos, iMovie, GarageBand, Pages, Mail files, etc.|
|Recover files lost due to drive formatting or corruption||Recovers data from unmounted drives & corrupted media|
|Preview and Retrieves specific files by file name and type||Recovers deleted files from Mac or external hard drives|
|4K Hard Drives Data Recovery and Virtual Drive recovery||Preview the Files before Saving Them|
|Recovers and repair corrupt photos, videos, documents, & more||Repairs Corrupt or Distorted Videos and Images|
|Compatible with Windows 10, 8.1, 8 & 7||Compatible with macOS Big Sur 11, Catalina 10.15, Mojave 10.14, 10.13, 10.12 & 10.11|
Lists as recoverable too many files that are not
Repairing volumes requires the utility’s Platinum edition.
Another great tool in this list which provides granular recovery of lost files. Facilitates you to easily and efficiently recover permanently deleted data.
Supported Device for Data Recovery
|Hard Drive (HHD) Recovery||USB Drive Recovery||Raid||External Disk|
|VMware Recovery||SSD Recovery||Hyper-V Recovery||Pen Drive Recovery|
|Windows Backup||Partition||Amazon Kindle Recovery||Portable Devices|
Supported File Types for Data Recovery
|Image||Others like; HTML, CDR, RPM, etc.|
SysTools Data Recovery Software Features
- Allows you to retrieve data from corrupt and formatted NTFS, FAT and ExFAT File System.
- SATA, IDE and EIDE devices are supported for full data restoration.
- You can apply Category Filter (Such as; Photos, Videos, Documents, Database, Audios, etc.) to save files as per requirements from recovered data.
- Easily retrieve hard deleted files and folders of local system.
- Recover data from External and Internal Drive.
- Preview and restore damaged or corrupt data files.
- Offers you to recover deleted partition easily.
- Compatible with Windows 10/8/7 and Windows Server 2016/2012/2008
Not available for Mac OS
A professional data recovery software for windows and mac to recover your lost data.
In 3 simple steps you can recover data, choose hard drive, then scan deleted files and preview all recoverable files. EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, Be Your Lifesaver.
Recover upto 2GB data – Free for both Windows and Mac
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Features
|For Windows||For Mac|
|Recover and Repair corrupt/ damaged photos||Recover lost Photos and Videos|
|Recover and repair lost/damaged videos||Backup Recovery (Time Machine backup or iTunes backup) Supported to extract data|
|Retrieve lost files after deletion or emptying the recycle bin||File filter option to locate lost data|
|Raw Recovery supported||Preview all recoverable files|
|All lost files are recoverable from – HDD, SSD, SD Card, Memory Card, Flash Drive, USB Drive, and Pen Drive||Recover data even system crashes down or becomes unbootable|
|Preview lost files before the actual recovery||Save your recovered data to cloud storage|
|Support – Windows 11/10/8/7Windows Server 2019/2016/2012/2008/2003||Support – macOS 11.0(Big Sur), macOS 10.15, macOS 10.14, macOS 10.13, macOS 10.12, Mac OS X 10.11 ~ 10.9|
|Recoverable file formats – Documents, Graphics, Photos, Videos, Audio, Email, Other Files (Such as Archives, exe, html, SITX, etc.)||Recoverable file formats – Document, Photo, Video, Music, Other Files (like; Email, Archives, ect.)|
The subscription model seems expensive
Recovery of large files might be slow
4. Disk Drill Data Recovery Software for Windows and Mac
One of the best data recovery software for macOS and Windows which locates and recovers deleted files from any internal and external drives, memory cards, iPods, iOS and Android devices.
Disk Drill data recovery software allows you to recover any type of deleted files such as: photos, music, documents, applications, and others.
Your Best Solution for Hard Drive Recovery.
Windows Data Recovery Software Feature:
- Free data recovery of up to 500 MB for Windows
- Preview lost files before performing a recovery
- Compatible with Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, XP or Vista
- Support internal hard disk, external USB drives, SD and CF cards, other memory cards, digital cameras, solid state drives (SSD), flash drives, etc.
- Recover all of the important video, audio, photo, Archives and document.
- Recover Accidentally Deleted Files or Empty Recycle Bin
- Recover data from Corrupt Memory Cards, Crashed Hard Disk or Formatted External Drive, even from Lost Partition
- RAW File System recovery Supported
- Restore files from Virus Infections
Mac Data Recovery Software Feature:
- Complete Mac recovery solution which read your device even if it is failing, unreadable, or has lost a partition.
- Deep scan and recover data from internal Macintosh hard drives, external hard drives, cameras, iPhones, iPads, iPods, Android devices, USB flash drives, Kindles, and memory cards.
- Restore Data on Any Internal or External Storage, iOS and Android
- Recover All File Formats, 200+ file types supported.
- All Major Devices Supported
- Compatible with Mac OS X 10.11.6+ and older version as well.
Lack of technical support and you need a paid solutions to utilize full features.
5. R-STUDIO Data recovery for Windows, Mac and Linux
A most powerful and professional data recovery tool for experienced users who can take advantage of its advanced features. Available for Windows Hard Drive, Mac and Linux.
Support almost all type of file system
Multi-language User Interface
Most comprehensive and advance data recovery solution.
R-Studio Data Recovery Software recover files:
- When Recycle Bin has been emptied
- Removed by virus attack or power failure
- When partition was reformatted
- When the hard disk was changed or damaged
- From damaged or deleted partitions
- From hard disk with bad sectors
Recovering data if: VIRUS has invaded; FAT is damaged; MBR is destroyed; FDISK have been run.
Advanced data recovery algorithm:
- to increase the quality of file recovery
- to recover files that are not recognized
- to fast search for lost partitions;
- to recover files from devices with unknown file systems, including HD, CD, DVD, floppy disk, Compact-Flash Card, USB drive, ZIP drive, Memory Sticks and other removable media.
- Basic(MBR), GPT, BSD(UNIX), APM(Apple partition map) partitions layout schemes
- Dynamic volumes, Windows Storage Spaces (Windows 2000-2019/8.1/10) and Mac supports – macOS 11 Big Sur, macOS 10.15 Catalina, macOS 10.14 Mojave, macOS 10.13 (almost all versions)
- Apple software RAIDs, CoreStorage, File Vault, and Fusion Drive
- Linux Logical Volume Manager (LVM/LVM2) and mdadm RAIDs
The trial version is greatly limited
Too complicated for beginners
6. Ontrack EasyRecovery for Windows & Mac
Ontrack Data Recovery Software is one of the best and most powerful data recovery tool to retrieves files from an HDD, SSD, RAID, memory card, USB, and optical media after deletion, format, corruption, and more.
Ontrack Data Recovery Software Features:
- Preview and Recover files from corrupt, damaged, deleted or formatted drives.
- Supports Windows and Mac operating systems.
- Repairs and recover damaged and corrupt photo, video files, documents, and more.
- Quick and deep scan with Comprehensive data recovery option.
- Restore deleted volumes as well as Recover data at your own pace start/stop and resume the recovery process at any time.
Interface is not much user friendly.
Free version is limited to 1 GB of free recovery and files sizes less than 25 MB
7. Prosoft Data Rescue For Windows and Mac
Another data recovery software in our list for windows and mac. Best for raw data-recovery.
Data Rescue allows you to recover data from formatted hard drive or deleted data accidentally. Recover your important data photos, videos, documents, and more instantly.
Hard Drive and RAID Recovery option with fast and efficient scanning.
Allows you to Clone a failing hard drive and create a Recovery Drive so you can recover from your main drive.
8. Recuva – Hard Disk Recovery Software for Windows
Recuva is more attractive than other hard drive recovery software in the list. Its lightweight and both FREE and Paid version available.
Either you accidentally deleted an important file or lost your files after a computer crash. No matter how you lost data – Recuva – hard drive recovery software, recovers files from your Windows computer, recycle bin, digital camera card, or MP3 player.
With advanced deep scan and preview option tool also can recover data from damaged or formatted drives.
The interface makes it look old.
Also, Poorer recovery performance than paid solutions
9. TestDisk for Windows, Mac, and Linux
TestDisk is also an open resource application that is mainly used to recover lost partitions.
Best use of TestDisk for:
Recover deleted partitions from hard drives
Fix the partition table
Recover the boot sector, and more.
Since TestDisk is open source software, you can inspect, modify, and enhance it if your are technically strong.
You must technical strong because its command-line only
Files are not repaired only damaged partitions and file systems
10. PhotoRec For Windows, Mac, and Linux
Just like TestDisk, PhotoRec is also free and open-source solution.
PhotoRec supports data recovery cross-platform like; Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, etc.
Restore data on most digital devices such as computers, digital cameras, cell phones, tablets, memory cards, external hard drives, and more.
You can recover more than 480 file extensions.
Not for beginners
All files are automatically recovered during the scan
Hope you will find the data recovery software for your Windows, Mac or Linux from the above list. All the Data recovery software are authentic, trusted and secured to recover data from Windows Hard Drive, Mac and Linux, so be sure to utilize them share your opinion and experience of any of these tools in the comments below.